See Jenn Tri

A journal of epic proportions!

Interested in supporting my goal to raise over $10,000 for cancer resarch? Click here!

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Race Day -- Update 1

This is Rob here! I know you all want to know how things are going so here is a quick update. Later hopefully I can get up pictures and maybe even some video.

This morning Jenn and I awoke at 4:00am. All of our cellphones and watches were beeping to make sure we got up. I think Jenn and I both slept pretty well and got to sleep nice and early. We were already pretty organized so it didn't take long to get our stuff and head out the door. Jenn had her oatmeal and banana, just as the race plan called for. :)

We walked down to the start of the race. At 4:45am there were people apparently still partying from the night before! We made it down to the start around 5:00am where Jenn went inside the gated area, pumped her tires and got all ready to go as the sun came up. I was able to talk to Jenn through the fence for this part.

Just before 6:00 the announcer was motivating everyone to get down to the beach and Jenn joined the crowd of athletes all suited up for the swim. Jenn and I said goodbye and I went to find a spot to watch the swimmers from. I found a decent vantage point where I could see the entire mass of athletes. They entered the water right on schedule at 6:30 and it was a very impressive sight, looking more like a bunch of birds than people. Just a few minutes after heading out they brought a first athlete back in a boat. It was hard to tell but I was pretty sure it was a man, so I was not worried for Jenn.

After watching for a bit I worked my way through the crowd to find a spot where I could see Jenn come out of the water. The swim consists of two loops. After swimming a first (bigger) loop they exit the water and run on this short "blue carpet" to then reenter the water for the second loop. I really wanted to be able to cheer Jenn on as she entered the water for her second loop. I found a great spot -- I took off my sneakers and was standing in the water right where the athletes get back in. At about 7:30 Jenn came around the bend and gave me a big wet hug and then ran back into the water. She looked great which is good of course considering it was still early in the day. :)

Next I went over to the race finish to get a spot to see Jenn finish the swim. That worked out well too and at around 8:03 Jenn came up out of the water! I cheered her on and then ran up to get a spot to see her bike start.

I think Jenn's transition went well. She started biking at around 8:11am and I saw (and got some video of) her getting on her bike and biking off. The day seems pretty hot so hopefully Jenn is feeling good. I'm sure that she will drink plenty and have plenty of nutrition and that is bound to help as much as possible. We know Jenn is prepared and I'm sure she will do great!

This part is the longest wait. The run tonight consists of going out and back along a 3 mile stretch four times so I'll get to see her once per hour there. I'll be watching all the bikers come in later this afternoon but now it is time for me to go eat brunch.

Rob

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Rob that is SO COOL! I wish I was there for my own big wet hug from Jenn! Thanks for a great update and for being such a great help to Jenn out there and for documenting things for everyone too!

Love you guys!

June 22, 2008 at 5:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Rob,
It's so great that you are there cheering on your sister! You three are so lucky to have each other and I am so blessed to have wonderful children. I'm so grateful that you can update us. Keep cheering Jenn on and we'll cheer you on.
Love,
Mom and Larry

June 22, 2008 at 5:19 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Excellent updating Rob! I tracked the first part online to see that her swim went fine (then I went to sleep!), but your description is so much better than looking at the numbers. Thanks! Give her a huge hug for me after the race!
: )
Sara

June 22, 2008 at 7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home