See Jenn Tri

A journal of epic proportions!

Interested in supporting my goal to raise over $10,000 for cancer resarch? Click here!

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Wednesday - Four days before the race.

I woke up around 6 AM after a good night’s sleep. I had a bit of a headache which I attributed to being a bit deydrated, so I drank a lot of water, and took some sinus medicine, just in case. Wearing the same dirty clothes that I had been wearing since 5:00 on Monday morning, I headed out for a morning walk.

The streets were peaceful and quiet. I walked back down to Ironman Central, and now the spectator seats were set up at the finish area. I got chills down my spine to see it! As I continued walking through the streets, I thought of some of the differences between here and home. One rule I quickly learned about this area is don’t jaywalk if you value your life. The cars around here drive so fast that there is little warning they are coming. There is also a lot of smoking here! Everyone seems to be waving a cancer stick in their hands, and it is nearly impossible to not breathe in second hand smoke when you are walking around. It’s also fun to see that instead of greeting each other with a hug, people here do the double kiss (on both cheeks). I knew they did; it’s just fun to actually see it. :-)

I passed by a cute cafe that was just opening up. Yum - crepes! So, it wasn’t the healthiest choice, but I had a Nutella crepe for breakfast. It was definitely worth it. I loved that when the waiter brought it to me, he said, “Bon Apetit.” We hear it all the time in the states, too, but it’s so much cooler hearing it from someone who actually speaks French!

After breakfast, I explored some more areas of the city, bought some groceries, and headed back to my room to read and wait for my luggage. It finally arrived at around 11:30. I took my time organizing and unpacking everything, spent a little time double checking my bike, and then I went out for a ride. I rode in the direction of the bike shop to ask about it getting tuned up, but it was closed. It wasn’t a great area to ride - pedestrians everywhere, train tracks, and cars zipping by. My next ride is going to be on the run path, where I will only have to dodge people.

I got back to the hotel to find another note on my door. This one was from Carlo, an athlete from San Jose who is also racing on Sunday. I just missed him - he was headed for a swim. I had lunch, lay down to rest and read for awhile, and eventually gave in to a 2 hour nap.

I went for a run this evening. A 10 minute run on the actual course. Even more Ironman things are set up now; I'm so glad I get to see the progression.

On my way back to the hotel, I met two men from LA. They are cardiologists. I think it's great to know that there is a cardiology convention in town the week of the ironman. :-)

Outside my hotel door, I watched a little breakdancing circle for a little while in the streets, then went up to bed.

Tomorrow is the expo and registration! Can't wait!

4 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

Yes, French drivers go fast, but they aren't as crazy as the Italians, so count that blessing! My visit to France in springtime was much better for breathing than my visit in winter b/c of the second hand smoke --you can dine outside of cafes when you are there in springtime. In the winter, you can't see across small rooms in cafes b/c of all the smoke. Bleh! Sounds like you are having a wonderful time settling in & I'm glad your luggage arrived. Sounds like you are making the time zone transition just great! I wish I could be there to go for some swims with you!

June 18, 2008 at 11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay Jenn!!! SO GREAT TO HEAR FROM YOU!!! Gosh I miss talking to you every day, but I'll have to settle for you blog entries (which are so AWESOME by the way in the way you describe things. I feel like I'm reading a novel.)

You sound awesome and I love your story about getting help getting your bike up the stairs and how funny about the cardiologists too! Call me ANYTIME for ANYTHING!

Love you and SO PROUD!

June 18, 2008 at 12:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so glad you have your bike and the most important things. France sounds wonderful. I'm finally glad to learned French in high school :). Keep the blog entries coming. You are a great writer and a most amazing daughter. Go Jenn!
Love,
Mom

June 19, 2008 at 8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Jenn.

As always, I'm so proud of you.

Keep the blogs coming - my thoughts are always with you.

Love,
Dad

June 19, 2008 at 10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home